The Spanish Geoparks Committee
The Spanish Geoparks Committee is constituted following the proposals emanated from the Coordination Committee of the European Geoparks Network for:
To promote and to disseminate the work of the Spanish Geoparks as part of the European & Global Geoparks Network (EGN) in their cultural and scientific aspects as well as their activities to improve the local development.
Coordinate the efforts of the Spanish Geoparks, to encourage their development and to foster relationships among its members through the organization of events and common projects.
To act as interlocutor of the Spanish Geoparks to the EGN for those aspects that are not addressed in the meetings of the EGN Coordination Committee.
Spain has ten Geoparks jointed together in the Spanish Geoparks Committee:
- The Cultural Park Maestrazgo in Aragon.
- The Natural Park Cabo de Gata-Nijar in Andalusia.
- The Sierras Subbéticas Natural Park in Andalusia.
- The Sobrarbe Geopark in Aragon.
- The Basque Coast Geopark in the Basque Country.
- The Natural Park of the Sierra Norte de Sevilla in Andalusia.
- The Villuercas-Ibores-Jara Geopark in Extremadura.
- The Central Catalonia Geopark in Catalonia.
- The Molina-Alto Tajo Geopark in Castile-La Mancha.
- The Geopark of El Hierro in the Canary Islands.
In addition to the Geoparks representatives (ordinary members), it is recommended that the committee include representatives of the national Administration: the National Commission for the Cooperation with UNESCO, the Spanish National Committee of the International Geoscience Programme (IGCP), the national geological survey and other relevant national departments: environment, tourism, cultural heritage, education and rural development as advisory members. Nowadays the Spanish Geoparks Committee have representatives of the Spanish Geoparks and as advisory members, representatives of the Spanish National Commission for Cooperation with UNESCO, of the Geological Survey of Spain (Instituto Geológico y Minero de España), of the State Secretary of Tourism, of the State Secretary of Culture and of the IGCP Spanish National Committee.