The Costanaza Mine, abandoned since 1946, is part of The Logrosán’s Mines project through which the municipality council has begun the recovery and enhancement of a rich mining heritage -casiterita tin (SnO2) – and phosphate -fluorapatito ( Ca5 (PO4) 3F) – exploited in this population since prehistoric times. The first step was the creation in 2009 of the Museum of Logrosán and the rehabilitation of this old phosphate mine: the Pozo María and their galleries. It was the most important source of raw material for the manufacture of phosphate fertilizers in Europe in the XX century. It was an underground mine whose exploitation reached 210 meters deep, although during the visit it can tour only the first two levels of galleries up to 50 meters deep.
The Costanaza Mine is the only underground mine ready for sightseeing in Extremadura and is a member of the Association of Spanish Tourist Caves. It is also one of the 45 Geopark’s geological sites. It is open to the public since August 1, 2012. In the mine complex, different mining buildings can be observed: the fertilizer factory, the pyrites’ roaster , factory, warehouses, mining and building engines of the Pozo Calle. While visiting the galleries of Pozo María you can see how the site was formed: tectonic faults, mineralization veins, tectonics and geodes gaps. The remains of human activity related to mining is also seen: blast holes, tools, lighting, buttress, wells, aeration channels, etc. The last section of the gallery is traversed in a small mining train that leads to the outside of the mine entrance.
The Logrosán Mine Complex count, once completed, with the following equipment: