The provision of educative materials is considered the first experience or achievement of the past years. Some educative cards were initially designed consisting of maps of the area, landscape evolution, major historical events and artistic values. Special cards promoting learn-and-play issues were also prepared for children. Those materilas let practical clasroom activities related with the paleontology, geology, history and culture of the Geopark. Especially pleasing to children were the trilobites replicas and the reproduction of the rock paintings.
The experience of the first teaching materials and their application in the clasroom has led to more tangible teaching tools as the popularly called “Geobox“, an educational briefcase containing a collection of rocks and minerals characteristic of the Geopark. Fossils’ replicas were also included. All the items had their own didactic cards.
Finally, during the 2013-2014 scholar year the textbook Environmental Awareness of Villuercas- Ibores-Jara Geopark was presented. It is a lively illustrated book that complements the subjects of Environmental Awareness in the final years of primary education and the Secondary level subjects of Natural and Social Sciences. It is a book used in the classroom allowing the pupils an approach to the standard issues using examples extracted from their own territory and heritage.
Most of the participating centers have organized educational activities and seminars during the European Geopark Network Weeks. The most emotional point is the celebration of the Geoconvivencia, a dayful celebration activity that join together several Primary School every year.
In the 2016-2017 Geopark educational project, activities such as the following were developed:
– Edition and distribution of the book GEOEXPERIENCIAS-educative activities of the Villuercas-Ibores-Jara Geopark geoschools. You can download it on this website (Spanish).
– Realization of activities and workshops during the school year: New experimentation of activities already described or new activities developing other chapters of the Geopark textbook. It will be necessary to have a report of its execution and graphic material that summarize the students’ achievements.
– The Geoconvivencia 2017. Berzocana. It was a great success of participation, almost 600 participants. The Botanical Garden and the Cancho de Las Sábanas were visited. The seminar, in the town square, served for students from each educational center to present to others the results of the workshops and activities that have taken place during the course in relation to the geopark.
– Educational trips or geology workshops. These are activities conducted by geologists and geopark staff alongside the cursus. It include the visit of the geosites or the improvement of the interpretation capacity of the teaching staff giving them some guidelines on the types of rocks present, paleontology, geological history, relief formation, etc. 24 educational trips were organized for educational centers throughout the province of Cáceres.
– The first “edusite” is the Timeline wall of the Fausto Maldonado Primary School of Cañamero. An educational action on geological time and its geopark milestones were represented in the wall of the school playground.0