The Geopark Council has representatives of the participant institutions. The Geopark Council has consultative and participatory functions dealing with proposals to:
- The annual Action Plan.
- The appointment of the technical structure.
- The appointment of the members of the Educational and Scientific Committee.
- Establish cooperation agreements between the signatories or with other governments to finance projects related to the Plan of Action.
- Approve the annual report of activities including the conservation of geological heritage, educational project, promotion of geotourism, relations with the European and Global Geoparks Network, the relationship with international institutions and conservation and UNESCO, the relationship with the Spanish Committee of Geoparks and the administration of the Geopark.
- Promote the study and the research of the geological, ecological and cultural resources, the respect for their values and the environmental education.